For many people, the decision to receive hospice care is made following the diagnosis of a life-limiting illness. Even so, some families still question this decision. Here are some common Hospice qualifiers to help determine when it might be time to elect the hospice benefit.
- Frequent physician, ET and/or Hospital visits
- Weight loss and or BMI < 22
- Decline aggressive therapy or is not a candidate
- EF < 20%
- NYHA Class IV symptoms at rest
- Little or no response to Bronchodilators
- Serum < 2.5
- Dysphagia and/or aspiration pneumonia
- Shortness of breath and/or o2 sat of 88% or less
- Frequent injections
- Upper respiratory infections, bronchitis or pneumonia
If you or a loved one are experiencing any of these symptoms and have questions about our services at Abode Hospice, please contact our office at (804) 359-3400 to speak with a staff member about these Hospice qualifiers.